Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What is Christianity without Christ?


I read so-called Christian theologians every now and then (like Bultmann or Harnack), and I have to wonder, "What makes you Christian." Please understand me, I'm not talking about their "Christianness" in terms of salvation or their classification as elect. I'm speaking in terms of religious categories. What I mean is that in order to fall under the broad (and it is very broad still) category of belonging to "Christianity" certain doctrines must be affirmed. One of the key requirements is a belief in Christ. The content of that belief must contain an acceptance of Christ's deity. There is hardly a more central tenant for Christianity. If one denies the deity of Christ (as many contemporary theologians are quick to do), how does one still qualify as a "Christian" as opposed to a "Buddhist," "Jew," "Taoist," or "Agnostic." Many of the other world religions hold that Christ was a great man, a moral teacher, an enlightened person worthy of emulation. Put another way, if one is willing to deny that Christ is God, how can one turn around and claim to be "One who believes that Christ is God." That is what the title "Christian" implies, a specific, meaningful confession of Christ.

5 comments:

  1. I've not read Bultmann or Harnack. I see your point nevertheless.

    one might make a distinction between Christendom (or Christian culture, tradition and heritage) and being a follower of Christ. Not that the 3 are necessarily exclusive or clearly distinct from each other, but a difference can be recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, I definitely think that those things are distinct. But I would argue that for any of those categories, the name "Christian" should imply certain core distinctions. For instance, someone might call himself an atheist, but if he believes in God at the same time, he's not really an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean and that's valid. I would just hold that culture, religion and personal faith are for most people pretty sloppy. They *are different things, distinct, though it's not always clear at the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of Islam, this belief that the Bible is a holy book, totally applicable to life, but that Jesus is just a prophet of God. (Islam, minus the Qur'an, the pillars and the other 90% of the religion, of course. :P)

    ReplyDelete